Residence Life - Talge Hall
August 1, 2024
The Assistant/Associate Dean provides direction and support to Talge Hall residents, for personal and university issues. Manages the residence hall in an orderly manner and helps create a spiritual environment.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitates connections between residents and other entities on campus for overall student success;
- Plans and presents worships;
- Approves late leaves and overnight leaves;
- Closes up and completes census at curfew time;
- Handles housing for residents of Talge and works in conjunction with housing office for Thatcher and Southern Village;
- Assists with student conduct;
- Responds to emergencies and code of conduct issues when appropriate;
- Works with Counseling Services to provide support for students;
- Serves on University committees as assigned;
- Maintains professional contact outside the University through involvement in professional organizations/activities and collaborations with Student Service professionals at other institutions;
- Performs all other reasonable, business-related functions as assigned;
- Primary office hours will be during the day with some flexibility in start/finish time. May be asked at times to work night shifts and weekends.
This position requires sharp mental skills and emotional balance. The largest physical demand may be the ability to handle the stress of balancing both the responsibilities of the job and the critical decisions regarding student lives. Another aspect is the high demand 7-day work-week that can average 60+ hours a week and that often require work hours well beyond midnight. Those in the profession must contend not only with unusually long hours, but also with an on-call schedule that includes nights, weekends, summers, and all holidays. The individual must have high physical stamina and be able to adjust to frequent interruptions from sleep and family time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The Assistant/Associate Dean must be willing to live in a facility with 650+ college men. Must be able to handle prescribed daily tasks while accommodating constant interruptions.
This environment that houses 650+ can be also inconvenienced by construction, repairs to basic life-support systems, and environmental factors than most other departments of the campus. For example, an academic building may close down for a portion of the summer to accommodate a building project; a residence hall committed to providing year-round housing may not. Another department may not be severely inconvenienced by a power outage at night, water being turned off, a computer system down for upgrade, etc. but a residence hall housing 650 persons with 650 individual study and sleep schedules is.
Special Requirements: Must have an expressed commitment to Jesus Christ, the teachings and mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, a SDA church member in good and regular standing, and a desire to serve in a cooperative, spiritually redemptive, and soul-winning atmosphere.
BS/BA degree required, Master’s preferred. Practice confidentiality of information at all times. Good people and administrative skills. Previous experience as a residence hall dean. Have the desire to grow professionally, including a willingness to learn new systems and procedures. Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently