Location: Transportation Department
To transport students to and from the University and other sites within designated route(s) and to ensure the safety of the student passengers while in a University vehicle. This job class is responsible for the safe operation of a University bus and for ensuring the safety of student passengers while meeting established bus schedules.
- Drives University vehicles within a prescribed route(s) in accordance with time schedules.
- Conduct safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily.
- Reports needed mechanical repairs when necessary.
- Services buses with gas, diesel and oil; as needed.
- Maintains cleanliness of vehicle to ensure safe operating condition on long trips.
- Attends driver training programs to maintain current knowledge of Motor Vehicle Code and the Education Code as it applies to the operation of passenger vehicles over 15 passengers.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Must have a Commercial Driver’s License, Class A or B with P endorsement.
- Current Medical Certificate.
- Ability to pass a drug screen.
- Possession of a safe driving record.
- Pay based on experience.
- Knowledge of basic first aid practices, procedures and techniques.
- Ability to read and write at level necessary to successfully perform the required duties.
- Ability to understand and carry out both oral and written instructions in an independent manner.
- Ability to drive a bus safely and efficiently.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and extreme caution while driving.
- Ability to maintain valid certification as a bus driver according to state regulations.
- Ability to meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform required duties.
High school diploma and some college preferred.
Previous driving of a bus or mini bus or a willingness to be trained with possession of permit.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires sitting for long periods of time, pulling, standing, lifting. May require lifting up to 50 lbs.
Willing to load and unload buses in hot or cold conditions.